Monday, December 5, 2011

Weeknight Cooking Series: Curried Chicken Skewers with Yogurt-Mint Dipping Sauce

So I’m about a week late on this post, but here goes.

Like I said in my most recent post, on the Monday after Thanksgiving, I was working from home and Jarrett was in Texas for the week.  Which meant I had to revert to my “single girl” eating habits.  Which are pretty similar to my “married person” (I guess?) eating habits, since I plan 99% of mine and Jarrett’s meals, except that I’ll make things in servings sizes of 2 for leftovers, rather than serving sizes of 4 for leftovers.

So I pulled out my Cooking for Two 2010 cookbook that we received as a wedding present from friends Allison and Charles (shoutout, you two!).  (Side note:  I’ve made stuff out of this cookbook previously and just multiplied the quantities by 1.5 or 2 (depending on how correct I thought the quantities were for 2 servings) for leftovers.  Usually with positive results.  So don’t be afraid to play around with the quantities a bit.)  I wanted something with minimal fuss that I had most of the ingredients for.  Et voila, I stumbled upon this recipe in the “on the lighter side” section.

This recipe was perfect for weeknight cooking; with a little planning ahead, all the prep work can be done the night before, then it’s only 10 minutes of cooking time!  Or if you don’t plan ahead, but you’re working from home, it’s perfect (well, for me because I always have chicken in the freezer) because you have the capability to prep everything a bit earlier and give it time to marinate.  I only marinated the chicken for an hour, and in way extra “sauce” and the result was still fabulous!

Curried Chicken Skewers with Yogurt-Mint Dipping Sauce
Curried Chicken Skewers Ingredients
1 ½ tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon Hot Madras curry powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 chicken breast*
*The book actually calls for 2 chicken breasts, I just didn’t want that much meat:)

Yogurt-Mint Dipping Sauce Ingredients
½ cup Greek yogurt (I used non-fat, book says 2%)
2 tablespoons fresh mint
1 tablespoon water
1 garlic glove, minced
Salt and pepper

Curried Chicken Skewers Directions
1.      Combine the honey, curry powder, salt, paprika, red pepper flakes, and garlic powder.



2.      Slice the chicken on the bias into ½ inch thick strips.
3.      Add the chicken to the spice mixture and toss to coat.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or up to 24 hours.

4.      Position an oven rack 6 inches from the broiler element and heat the broiler.  Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray with Pam.
5.      Weave the chicken strips onto skewers and lay the skewers on the prepared baking sheet.  (Either soak the skewers in water for at least 20 minutes, or cover the ends in foil.)

6.      Broil the skewers until the chicken is fully cooked and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes, flipping them halfway through.


Yogurt-Mint Dipping Sauce Directions
1.      Combine the yogurt, mint, water and garlic and season with salt and pepper to taste.


2.      Cover and refrigerate until needed then serve with the chicken skewers.
*Original recipe can be located in Cooking for Two 2010.

As I’ve mentioned, I love carbs:), and to me, no meal is complete without a starch.  So I served these bad boys up with some whole wheat naan and tamarind chutney for a semi-authentic Indian-American meal.  (With a salad beforehand for some veggies, not pictured.)

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment